Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Project templates for F# games on Windows Phone 7 using XNA

The recent presentation of the Windows Phone 7 platform and its marketplace by Microsoft has attracted a lot of attention. The success of the iPhone and its App store has opened new markets to independent developers.

Both .NET and F# are considered very attractive development platforms, and some have shown interest for a set of project templates allowing the use of F# for developing applications for Windows Phone 7.

Taking advantage of the experience I gained building a project template for F# + XNA for Xbox 360, I have created two new templates for F# + XNA for WP7.

They are now available on the Visual Studio Gallery:

F# + C# Game For Windows Phone (XNA)

F# Library for Windows Phone (XNA)

I must also mention the earlier templates by Dan Mohl, which target WP7 through Silverlight:

F# and C# Win Phone App (Silverlight)

F# and C# Win Phone List App (Silverlight)

F# and C# Win Phone Panorama

I am now considering to work on the following templates:
- PC hosted game
- PC XNA+winforms app
- PC lib (with the script I mentioned in Interactive Game Development with XNA and FSI)
- Xbox360 hosted game

Please let me know which template you think would be most valuable.

2 comments:

CompDoc said...

Good job,I can't wait to get started.

Daniel Mohl said...

Nice Joh, this is awesome!